05 July 2013

Small Pond Visits Heartfit Farm

Welcome!

On Tuesday this week I visited George and Cristina at their vast 80-acre farm in Frankford, Ontario, to demonstrate how to build a scarecrow with their current guests...and we had a blast!

Heartfit Farm is "a working farm offering experiential, interactive farm fun as a vacation destination for adults with intellectual disabilities, high functioning Autism, and guests with Aspergers from 19-50 years old." Krista and I visited there a few months ago  to see what kinds of things we could offer from our various skill sets in order to foster a relationship with these friendly folks just north of Belleville, and this week's scarecrow making was our first collaboration. Also, their farm is gorgeous, so it's just nice to visit there.

The proud builders.

I brought most of the necessary supplies (wooden crosspost, clothing, assembly tools) and guided the enthusiastic bunch as they put together their first scarecrow. The boys wheeled over a wheelbarrow full of straw for stuffing and, in under an hour, voilà! A scarecrow is born.

Now on duty.

After much deliberation during the entire building process, a name for the scarecrow was finally decided upon and Percy was temporarily set up outside the garden (he'll be installed inside later). Look at the size of that rhubarb!

Bonus stilting demo.

I was running short on time (I had a looming appointment for an oil change) but I still had my stilts in the back of the van from my gig on Main Street Picton for Canada Day on Monday, so I figured it'd be fun to strap 'em on and give a brief demo for my new friends.

Green eggs and a ham.

They've got lots of animals at the farm and their chickens are really beautiful and, it's kind of hard to see here, but some of them lay green eggs. For real.



No comments:

Post a Comment